Saturday, August 29, 2009

Oh Stubborn...

So yesterday was a pretty busy day for us.
She got to go visit the pediatrician yesterday and get checked out. She is now gaining weight like no body's business! Weighing in in this corner at a whopping 9 pounds, 3 oz, Lillian Elizabeth!
When we weighed her later in the day, she was 9 pounds 10 oz. how in the world could that be?

As we sat waiting in the doctor's office, we heard the commotion in the next room beside us. Seems a little boy, about 4 or so was getting a shot. You could tell it was coming. The super nice sugary voices, mom trying to get him ready. Then the screaming. Oh the screaming! If that child knew curse words, he would have said them!
He did commence with, "I hate the doctor! I am never coming here again!!!" Yep. I don't blame you, kid.

So during our visit with the doctor, she announced the need to give Lils her Hep B shot. Oh NO! It happened quickly but you could tell it hurt like none other. I think, if she had words, she would have been happy to say the same things the kid next door said!

In the process of talking to the doctor, I told her that breast feeding isn't going so well. She kind of freaked and had her nurse get me into the lactation consultant right away.

Going to the lactation consultant isn't as easy as making a phone call/appointment. You need a prescription. You need to check in to admitting at the hospital. yeah, it is a big deal.
So when I got there, the lactation person (Beth) told me to take off my shirt and bra. Yeah. It is that kind of experience. She looked at me and pronounced me cracked and sore. Duh. I could have told her that without giving her a peep show. She also wondered how I had kept up the breast feeding for so long. (not sure... this is why I HATE breast feeding maybe!)
Seems that Lilly has created a bad habit of biting when she should be sucking. (is this TMI for some of you yet?)
She, according to Beth, needs to learn the new habit. So we did all kinds of things to get her to learn the new habit. Lils was having none of this new stuff! She screamed and yelled, she caused quite the commotion. I have never seen her so pissed off before. Never.
Beth kept saying that Lilly was being forced to do something she didn't want to do and she needed to learn. But Beth also suggested that the sweet Lils was a bit stubborn. Well, duh. She IS my child!

So we are working on this. Feedings are taking forever and involved lots of crying (hers, not mine) and lots of me saying, "I am the mommy and I am the boss" Yeah, we will see how well that goes for me.

Let me tell you, if this is what is happening now, I don't know that I want to see what she is capable of when she is a teenager.

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting that she is gaing weight and doing so well if she isn't doing well with the nursing. Is she eating table food too!!!

    I know you don't want to come back to school, but it isn't the same without you....Do you want to just quit?

    ReplyDelete