Friday, July 31, 2009

Yesterday, Today, and on and on...

Now, I didn't quite have the chance to post onto the blog while in labor...(when did he have time to do that???!!) But I am about to lay down and get some rest and thought I would give you the mom's version of things.
Labor was not fun. I mean, really not fun. Epidural only worked on one side of the body, so contractions were very difficult. Pushing was the strangest thing I have ever experienced in my life. I got so tired by the end. I was about to tell Billy just to take me home! I was done pushing. But she is out and here and beautiful and sooo good. She is learning to live with us, but is taking it all in stride. Like she has known us for forever and we are just now meeting her.

The hospital was nice, but it was so amazing to get to go home. Finally a nice long warm shower! In our own beds, with our own stuff...and no one to check our vitals at 2 am! What a blessing home is.

Billy is so amazing. During the pregnancy, Billy would talk to her. Tell her he loved her and just talk to her. I, on the other hand wasn't so flexible to be able to talk to my stomach directly, so I missed out on that opportunity. Once Lillian came out into the world, Billy would get really close to her and talk to her. She was mesmerized! She couldn't get enough of him! And she would instantly calm down, open her eyes, and stare at him. They are bonded. :)

He has also been amazing around here. He is taking his job pretty seriously and I am not having to do anything but sleep and take my shift with the baby. Oh yeah, and breastfeed.
I don't know if I could have done all of this without him. He is pretty awesome!
Superman status I would say.

Oh and speaking of breast feeding, Yeah, it was really NO fun for a while there. Pain is not even a word I would describe. And very discouraging. I just knew I was doing it all wrong and my baby would starve. That was the only time I really felt like a complete failure and truly upset. But the lactation person came in and talked to me and told me that things were really good and got me calmed down. Once milk has come in, breast feeding is less painful and I actually don't cringe at the thought of having to breast feed each time. It will get better and better each time.

I am sure every mom says this, but sometime soon, I will need to write this stuff down officially. There really does need to be a straight answers guide to surviving childbirth, surviving the hospital, and what to expect when you are breast feeding.
Kids, really, don't try this having a baby thing at home!

So, just wanted to update you guys on what was happening with us. I took video this morning of Lillian. Will post soon.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I am turning comments off on this one... Just wanted to update you.

:)
Nikki

No comments: