Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Confessions of a Soon-to-be Mom...(speaking a new language)

When a bunch of us teachers get together, Billy usually excuses himself to go in the other room, or entertain himself in another way. Not because he doesn't like my teacher friends, but because he can't get into the teacher language. He has gotten the hang of phrases such as, "unifix cubes" and "within continuous text" or words like "schema" but he still gets a little lost, and a lot bored in the conversation. Same thing goes when I am at a work function for him. I barely understand a few words spoken then. We all speak the language in which we are surrounded. It is just a way of life.

So, about a month ago, Allison, Annie and I were together. Annie has a little boy who is not yet a year old. Allison doesn't have a baby yet (because she needs to finish her Master's Degree first!) and well, then there is me... the expectant mother.
So in the middle of hanging out, I guess Annie and I started some "mom talk". Allison finally stopped us and politely said, "you guys are speaking mom talk and I don't know what you are talking about". It hit me then, I have learned a new language.

I now can speak words like dilation, due date, sonogram, effacement, epidural (I like that word a lot) and other frightening words like those. But I also know about baby stuff words. These are the most fun of all. Yes, friends. Butt Cream, Nipple cream, jumper, snuggli, bumbo, and my current favorite, the Boppy. OH yes. The Boppy. If you ever find yourself in the beginning stages of being pregnant, run right out and get yourself a Boppy early! Do it. You will thank yourself later. The Boppy, to those who don't speak the language, is a breast feeding pillow. It is essentially, a C shaped pillow that fits around the mom's body to support the baby when breast feeding. It, and I am not lying about this, has a similar cousin named, "My Breast Friend". Yep. Corny but very true.
But why would one want a Boppy in the beginning stages of pregnancy? One might ask. OH because it can be used for so much more than that. it can be wrapped around your neck for support when sitting up, it can be placed under the large large belly when lying down on your side, it can be placed at the end of the bed in order to prop feet. It is an all purpose tool, I tell you. Most importantly, at this stage of the game, it allows me to have some "Tummy Time" and actually lay on my tummy for a bit, which I really miss. Reading books has become more comfortable when supported on my belly by the Boppy.

I never knew how useful a tool it could be. And I never knew how important a word like Boppy could be in my vocabulary.
Just goes to show that we are all learning, growing, and speaking new languages every day. Mine just currently happens to be mom/baby.

1 comment:

  1. The Boppy is definitely a good. Another thing I would suggest you guys get is the Babysense V monitor. Before we got it, we would constantly check and make sure Hailey was sleeping and breathing just fine but now with the monitor in place, we can sleep more peacefully knowing that her breathing is being monitored.

    ReplyDelete