Saturday, July 28, 2012

Adventures in party planning...

I am not a party planner.  For reals. As a matter of fact, for months before July, my friend Saba tries to engage me in party plans for Lil's birthday.  I never bite.  I just don't want to think about it!  So it should be no surprise that I put things off until the very last minute once again. Well maybe not last minute, but I waited long enough.

Lil loves her cat in the hat doll.  He is her usual pick when she chooses to take a "friend" somewhere. And Lil loves books, so I thought it would be fun to add those things together for a Cat in the Hat themed party.

I love me some themed parties!

So it began with the invites.  I wanted to cut out a Cat in the Hat hat but just wasn't sure what to do next.  I didn't want it to be just an ordinary what: where: when: kind of invite.  So I made up this silly poem/story thing in the style of Dr. Seuss and we were good to go!

So invites were sent!  Now to plan the fun.  My pinterest search then began.  My friends who follow me on facebook were instantly aware that I was planning a Seuss themed party since everything I was pinning had to do with Dr. Seuss.  I got some great ideas and set to work.  Photo booths are so fun and all the rage at the cool kid parties so I HAD to have one.  Off to Amazon to order some props! While shopping on amazon, I found Horton and Cat in the Hat plates and cups that were a reasonable price but would have cost me $18 just to ship!  So I decided to go for plain boring red and white plates and maybe make it fun with some crazy straw cups. 

Had I wanted Crazy Straw cups in the middle of summer, I would have had no problems.  However, they are a seasonal item.  And in July, as people are putting away swimming stuff (crazy) and putting out School Supplies (even crazier) it is impossible to find a funky cup.  Not being able to find them made me even more obsessed about said cups.  I dreamed about them even!  I was determined to find me some cups!  15 dollar stores, two Wal-Marts (not to mention my hatred for Wal-Mart), and several grocery stores later, I had only procured 4 cups.  Ugh.
I was even ready to send my mother on a shopping trip out of town if necessary!

After swim class, we set out in search of cups and my mom suggested we look in the Albertsons by her house.  I was sure Albertson's would not have what we needed, but there, in the seasonal section that had not yet been put away, were cups!  I am pretty sure I heard angels singing at that moment!  I was so happy I cried.  Mission complete!  

So then it was on to the main event.

Here is what we ended up doing. :) 

 The dessert table... because that is what is important right?  Hat was marshmallows, oreo, and lots of red and white candy melts. Fun but messy. :)
 See? Boring plates.  Oh well.
 I had every intention on using more of those puffy things to make Truffula trees but yeah, they were a pain and made me frustrated, so we had no forest of truffula trees.

 Treat bags for the kids.  Inside: Swedish Fish, bookmarks, Cat in the Hat hat to wear, pencils, silly bands in the shape of Cat in the Hat, glow sticks, paints, and a star sneeches ball... so fun!


The cups!  With my attempt at the Lorax lemonade container.
 Made egg, bacon, cheese thingies.. Horton's Egg Nest.  I came up with that myself.  Yep.
 Fruit from the Truffula Trees.

 Our Photo Booth... ready for takers!


A close up of the cupcakes.

Coming up... What happened at the party! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment